Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Top 10 Players for Next Year

Fox Sports put out a list of the top 10 returning college basketball players. There are no Tar Heels in the top 10. However, Ed Davis made the honorable mention with the author noting some of Steady Eddy's NCAA tournament games. Most of this list contains people from the Big 12, like Willie Warren and the two-headed monster from Kansas, but two other ACCer's made the list: Kyle Singler at #8, and Al-Farouq Aminu at #3.

My thoughts are mixed about this. First, I think Ed Davis is going to be great next year, but the fact remains that we don't know that. I can project all I want and you can project all you want, but the truth of the matter is, we just don't know. Secondly, I would like to see this list at the midway point of the season, because both Aminu and Singler have played significant minutes for their teams (I'm talking about starting and big game situations) and Davis has not has as much of an opportunity. Yes, he has played in a number of big games already, but he was never counted on as the second or third option like these players have been. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure that every player on this list started at least half the season. Ed Davis made the honorable mention even though he has started less than 3 games in his career. He is impressive.

This article got me thinking about who the most important players are for UNC this year. I thought about it a lot today and kept trying to place them in some sort of order, but I'm not sure yet. I still have some thinking to do, so I will decide tomorrow or Thursday and post it with my thoughts. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment