Friday, September 4, 2009

So that Alumni Game

Yeah, I really dropped the ball on the Alumni game that is taking place tonight in Chapel Hill. I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the dates and my calender, so I was pretty screwed up. Sorry about that. There were rumors that this would feature most of the 2005 team versus the 2009 team, but with Tyler Hansbrough's shin injury (thankfully, it didn't happen last year), the teams were set up in a draft-type format, which is probably the best way to do it. Otherwise, where are you going to put Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, and others? The rosters are as follows:

Blue Team
Shammond Williams
Ed Cota
Ty Lawson
Vince Carter
Dante Calabria
Jawad Williams
Wayne Ellington
Rashad McCants
Brandan Wright
Sean May

White Team
Brendan Haywood
Raymond Felton
Bobby Frasor
Jackie Manuel
Jeff McInnis
Danny Green
Marvin Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

Looks like some pretty stacked teams, but I can't call a winner because I have no idea. If Hansbrough was playing, I would choose whichever team he is on, but I'll go with one of my other favorite big men in Antawn Jamison. But with Blue team's shooters on the roster, they may just run a Four Corners-type offense and chuck up the three ball - Who knows?

As already mentioned, Hansbrough will not be playing, but will be there and I know he is there because his Twitter feed said so. Other former Heels, who will be there but not play included Julius Peppers, Eric Montross, Hubert Davis, as well as coaches like Larry Brown and George Karl.

The reason for this game is to kick off the 100th year of Carolina basketball - a tradition unlike any other. Another event that will be taking place tonight is for the 2009 banner to be unveiled. It will be a great treat for most of the players on that team to be there when that happens. Typically, I believe most championship banners are raised on the opening night or the Late Night, but this is pretty special event. Lots of great players playing tonight. Here's a preview of the events taking place at 8 P.M. tonight

As mentioned a few posts ago, lots of pickup games have been taking place in the Smith Center and Adam Lucas writes about some of the events that take place here. Someday, I would like to go just to watch some of these games, but we'll see what happens. There are even pictures of some of the games.

Adam Lucas is going to be at the game, giving updates, so if you're one of the unlucky ones that don't have a ticket, click over to Tar Heel Blue and follow there.

After this game, I will post some of my favorite players since I have been a North Carolina fan because I don't think I have shared that and I just love thinking about these players playing together.

Also, how come Joe Forte wasn't invited to this event? He played so well in the NBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment