Sunday, April 26, 2009

Season in Review: Ty Lawson

More like Ty Awesome. Lawson was simply amazing this season. I really never felt like we should lose because we had this guy on the team. After the 2 ACC losses, he carried the team into the Promised Land, filled with shiny wooden and crystal trophies (did you know the Championship trophy costs $19,000? It’s so ugly looking) This year definitely showed me the Ty Lawson that was promised his freshman year. End to end blazing speed, the sweet jump shot. This guy was truly amazing this year.

Things I didn’t like:
1. Missing some games. We could have easily run away with the ACC tournament championship, especially with the dud that Florida State had in the championship. In the long run, it was fine because we on the national championship, which was the ultimate goal. So I will take it.

2. Court vision. If I could find one flaw in his game, it would be these and that’s because I like a passing point guard. Probably on every play, they could run this offense: Lawson dribble until a lane opens up and either make the lay up or dump it down to a big man for a wide open lay up. Ty Lawson is good passer, but I think he could have been better. Yes, I am nitpicking a bit.

3. Free throw shooting. Yes, he was around 80%, but he could have totally been dominate in the tournament if he hit most of his free throws.

Things I liked:
1. Umm…everything? The shot was there all year and it looked so good. The turnovers were so few, which was awesome. The defense was there for the most part. I think Ty Lawson was amazing this year and I truly did like every part of his game.

2. The DUI. I truly think this basically gave us the championship. I don’t think Lawson would have been back otherwise. Thank you for having a lapse in judgment Ty Lawson. Also, thank you Chapel Hill Police Department for catching him. It’s true, if Lawson wasn’t there, Hansbrough, Ellington, and everyone else would have played differently, but it’s a lot more comforting to know he was there.

Ty Lawson had a great year. Maybe his stats don’t blow you away, but to the true fan, he was the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment