Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Season in Review: Tyler Zeller

I feel it is almost unfair to judge Tyler Zeller this year. I like to call him the “Big Z” (apologizes to Zydrunas) and he did start out the year big, then Kentucky fouled him (no, I don’t think it was a dirty foul). Honestly, when it happened, I knew it was broken and figured he was done for the year. That’s also what the reports said too. But he came back.

Things I didn’t like:
1. Again, take these with a grain of salt because Zeller was never at 100% after the injury, but in the first 2 games, he had 2 blocks. After he came back, he had 1 block. Not cool. I remember his first game back against NC State, he looked so slow on the defensive end. So hopefully he defense will improve.

2. Rebounding. Zeller’s high for one game was 8 against Radford. Other than that, his high was 3 on many occasions. The game against Radford was his most minutes of the season after injury, but even against Penn and Kentucky, he only had a total of 3. Rebounding needs to improve, especially with the absence of Hansbrough next year.

Things I like:
1. Offensive game. He certainly has it and we saw it throughout the course of the year. Lay-ups, dunks, jump hooks, jump shots, and free throws. The thing that impresses me is the free throws. He shot 8 of 10 against Penn and for the season was 13 of 17. Not a lot, but I don’t think the Penn game was a fluke.

2. Selflessness. I would have been easy for Zeller to take a redshirt. But he wanted to help the team. That is what he said his first game back. To help the team reach their goal of a National Championship. Well, mission accomplished.


I think the future is bright for Big Z. He has a good offensive game and I think his defensive game will improve in time. I picture him as a 4 year guy, so I think he can get used to him being around. He should prove to be a good 6th man next year as well. I believe when he came in, he had the ability to shoot the 3 ball, so hopefully we can see that next year as that will open up Ed Davis in the middle for dunk city.

No comments:

Post a Comment