Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Season in Review: Danny Green

I remember when Danny Green was a freshman and it was a game against Duke at North Carolina. He did this one thing that made me so mad (I think he was dribbling around with the clock winding down and the Heels were down by a few points and he ended up turning it over.) and I was thinking he was the dumbest player in the world. Well since then, he still does some dumb things, but has matured quite a bit. Green has gone through a lot in his career with his father, but he has handled himself well.

Things I didn’t like:
1. Dumb plays. Sometimes, Green would go for the homerun, when all we needed was a single. Sometimes it was shooting a 3 early in the shot clock late in the game or a stupid pass when trying to break the press. You could throw some bad fouls in there as well as Danny was in foul trouble quite a bit late in the year.

2. Didn’t go to the hole enough. Green is a good free throw shooter, but he rarely goes to the line. I’m not sure if he’s just more comfortable on the perimeter, or doesn’t like to bang with the post players, but I think he should have gone to the bucket more and hopefully gotten some easy lay ups or gone to the free throw line.

Things I liked:
1. Confidence. Thankfully, this year wasn’t the Danny Green of old, who when he would be in a shooting slump would often stop shooting, but his year he kept on shooting and hit some big shots.

2. Shot blocking. For a guard or small forward, Danny Green is an excellent shot blocker. Remember that game against Miami when Green had 2 huge blocks within a 2 minute span? Remember his 7 block game against Duke? He was an excellent help defender and it was appreciated, not only to the fans, but also to the highlight guys.

Green declaring for the draft last year was shocking, but he needed to come back and he did. He was the stat-stuffer and I enjoyed watching him play and mature as a basketball player. His dancing will be missed and I don’t think he’ll do that at the next level, but I do wish him the best. Four years after me reeling him despising him for doing some dumb things I feel that Danny Green was the glue guy on this year’s team. Then we have this picture, which is just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment