Sunday, May 3, 2009

Season in Review: Marcus Ginyard

I know, if I thought it was unfair to judge Tyler Zeller who missed half the year, how can I judge a guy who played in 3 games? Well, this is my blog, so I can do what I want. This is more of what I hope to see from Marcus Ginyard next year. When he was shut down for the season, everyone (myself included) thought of the David Noel comparisons (Has he really been cemented in people’s minds or what?). Senior leader on a young team, incoming freshman and on and on. Yes, he is very much in the position that David Noel was in, but let’s not crown him the second coming just yet.

Things I’d like to see:
1. Consistent jump shot. We all know we can defend, rebound, and make lay-ups. If he could get some consistency on his shot and even bag a couple of 3’s per game, I would be very pleased with Ginyard. We should have enough front court depth to have enough offensive fire power, but my concern is the backcourt (which is where I think Ginyard will be at next year: Davis – C, Thompson – PF, Henson – SF, Ginyard – SG, Drew –PG. Or Ginyard could come off the bench and I’m sure he would do fine and accept his role.) If he can get a jumper, teams won’t be able to sit in a zone or sag off on him in man-to-man defenses, meaning that they can’t just clog the paint. I know he can, and hopefully he will.

2. Defense, leadership, and hustle. All of these are pretty much given, but that doesn’t mean I don't want to see them go away. We know he’s the best individual defender on the team, so it will be nice not to have opposing guards go for 30 on UNC every other night. I have considered Marcus to be the leader of this team since he was a sophomore because he was vocal and would lead by example, whereas some of the others led primarily by example. He will fit right into the mold of the leader with the young team. The hustle should be there as well, especially since He is the elder statesman of the team, being a 5th year senior. He needs to put in the effort and work to make an impression on this young team, so that they can continue the excellence that is North Carolina basketball. I have no doubts about any of these.

I do feel bad that Marcus didn’t get to play in the championship run, but I realize and I think he does to, that this is a blessing in disguise with the team that is in place for next year. He has a great situation to take part of here and I hope he relishes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment