Saturday, May 23, 2009

Top 25's 5 Months Before Practice Starts

Now that the John Wall sage is over, some sites have put out their early edition of the top 25 for next season, so I thought I would link them up and make some comments about them.

Fox Sports has North Carolina coming in at 4th, preceded by Kentucky at 1, followed by Kansas and Michigan State. I do like the number 4 spot, and think North Carolina should achieve this with the ups and downs that is college basketball.

Sports Illustrated has the Heels bringing up the rear of the top 10 at number 8, which at first caused me to be outraged, but the more I think about it, this may be an honest assessment of the team. I think a lot of us feel that this team will be vintage 05-06 team with Marcus Ginyard putting on his throwback of David Noel and Ed Davis and John Henson teaming up to transmorph into Psycho-T. Let’s not all get on that band wagon yet. We have not seen this team play and they might not gel. I would easily say that they’ll be in the top 25 all year long (barring injury of course), but they might not be as good as we as fans are thinking they could be. I know Roy is a good coach and that 05-06 team showed us what he can do with not as much talent, but willing bodies.

I look forward to the season and I think the Heels have the ability to stay in the top 10 all year long. This will be a well-coached team (obviously) and I look forward to watching them play, but where they will be at the pre-season and at the end of the season is yet to be seen.


Also, one other note Fox Sports has Kentucky at #1, which I suspect is where they will be most of the year. I do not like Memphis, mostly because of John Calipari; therefore I do not like Kentucky even more now because of John Calipari. Memphis would always get national praise for being so good. Well they should be because they don't play anyone until the tournament and then get ousted (with the 08 Championship game being the exception) I hope we are really for them to turn into the next Memphis with the lone exception of them running through the conference play. I would imagine someone from the SEC can beat them once, unlike Memphis in Conference USA (Note to sports writers: to run the table in Conference USA is not that impressive. I'm sure top high school teams could do it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment