Thursday, March 5, 2009

Get Outta Here!


Good win last night. I was getting a little nervous there at the end, but they pulled it off by picking up the slack and playing defense. I thought the defense played well most of the game. The perimeter defense was active again and Ed Davis played human fly-swatter all game long. I'm not going to comment much about the game but here are my likes and dislikes.


What I didn't like

1. Late game mistakes. Mostly this is the Tyler Hansbrough goal tending incident. I know this won't happen again, but why do it? Also why did Ty Lawson have to keep fouling at the end of the game. I think he picked up 4 in the last few minutes. Not all of those I agreed with, but don't stop the clock and put them on the line.


2. Bench production. I praised the bench on Tuesday; today I tear the bench down. Other than Ed Davis, it looked sloppy. I will cut Zeller some slack because it's only his 2nd true road game and might have been rattled. I hold my breath every time Bobby shoots, hoping it goes in. Generally, I'm disappointed, but he's a defender now, not a shooter. Larry Drew I think just needs more experience (I'm sure he'll get plenty next year).


3. Ty's missed free throws. This is nit-picking a bit, but he was at 81% and then shot 8-12. I know he'll bounce back, but I had to include this in my didn't like section because I just didn't like it.


What I liked

1. Defense. Like the GA Tech game, I thought this was pretty good. I especially applaud Wayne Ellington's effort on Malcolm Delaney, as he was matched up against him most of the game. Wayne did a great job of fighting through screens and even though Delaney got over his average of 18 (he had 19), but this was one of those players who could go off for 30 like every other guard has in ACC play. Sure Vassallo had 25, but he was a senior who was fighting to win his last home game. Nice adjustments at halftime to shut down Jeff Allen. I think he had 14 at half and ended up with 18 (plus it helped that he was shooting long jumpers). Ed Davis was a monster with his block party. 6 Blocks (just check out that picture)!! This kid is gonna be a force in the future.


2. Everybody pitched in. Danny had a bad 1st half and a decent 2nd half. Deon had a quiet 8 points, but we needed all of his points. Wayne got off to a hot start and help get a lead in the first half. Tyler Hansbrough and Ty Lawson (soon to be known as Batman and Robin) were great. #50 was big in the first half and #5 was big in the second.


3. Commentary. Lately we've had some real idiots behind the mike (are we sure Billy Packer retired?), but I don't mind Jay Bilas at all, despite the fact that he went to Duke. I like him because he doesn't praise Duke needlessly and actually tells some of their flaws, which is another reason why I like him: he tells it like it is. He doesn't sugarcoat any team and actually gives good insight to games. For the record, I don't really mind Dick Vitale either. Sometimes he overdoes it, but I think his praise for Duke and Carolina are equal.


4. At least a share of the ACC. This is probably the least of things I want to accomplish in my own team goals, but this is still an achievement. I would love to in it outright, but I would much rather win the NCAA tournament.


So, let the buildup begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment