Monday, March 16, 2009

Triumphant Bracketology

Well, we have the 1 seed. We all knew that. I've been reading how UNC has an easy trip to the Final 4, but I never believe that because it does take a lot of work to get there and we should feel fortunate that we have gotten there so many times. But anway, people, sports writers, commentators are mostly saying that UNC has the easiest draw, but I don't think so. I usually never think we have the easiest because I get nervous. In 2005, Kansas and UCONN were in our bracket, but they got ousted; they scared me (even though Villanova ended up being the biggest scare). This year, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Gonzaga, and even Clemson scare me. The other teams may be good, but they do not cause me to be conconered. But these match-ups also intrigue me as a college basketball fan. I would love to see this years NPOY go against last years. I would love to beat the 'Cuse and we would probably have to beat another Big East team on the way, so then we can officially say we are the best of both conferences. I would love to the 'Zags because of that stupid loss in the NIT in 06. I would love to beat Clemson because it's Clemson.

Let me talk about the potential match-ups:
Oklahoma - This is easily the most appealing match-up. Terminator vs Psycho-T. Both gritty, hard-working players. At first I was really nervous when I figured out that Oklahoma would be in the South, but now I'm not. I'm not even so sure that they will be able to beat Clemson if that game were to happen (depends on which Clemson team shows up). In all reality, it would be a physical game, but North Carolina has too many weapons. The Sooners only have a cyborg.

Syracuse - This team worries me because you don't know what to expect. Is this the team that has the guts to grind out a 6 OT game and beat the Heels? Or is this the team that finished in the middle of the Big East. This team worries me because Jim Boeheim will sit in his 2-3 zone and let the Heels shoot. I think I have seen Syracuse play man defense once in my life. Typically when teams have stayed in a zone, the Heels have made them pay, but what happens when the shots aren't falling? They do have some big bodies to throw at Hansbrough too. Jonny Flynn is one of those guards who can go for 30

Gonzaga - Always talented, always overrated is what I think of when I think of the Bulldogs. Yes, they still have Josh Heytvelt who "totally dominated" Hansbrough in the pre-season NIT, but this team does not play defense. Sure they are deep and talented, but they are worse than UNC on defense. I remember watching the Gonzaga/UCONN game and Gonzaga had the lead and allowed A.J. Price to lead his team back. Same thing would happen if the Heels were down I'm sure. Bulldogs choke.

Clemson - Only because it's Clemson and they know us and have been competitive over the last few years. I think they got a raw deal at #7 and think they will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. Again, it depends on which Clemson team shows up: the one that crushed Duke by 27 or the team that hasn't won a game in Chapel Hill in a bazillion years.

Some "experts" are picking Gonzaga to go to the Final 4. You know who I'm picking. I know I didn't sound optimistic, but that's because I'm nervous and I don't like to go in all super-confident. I know this team is the best team out there, they just have to play like it.

As for my other picks. Louisville, Pitt, and Memphis for now, but that region may change. I usually don't fill out my bracket till Wednesday night. I would feel pretty good if we played Pitt (I know, I said I didn't want to play them before), but if Blair gets in foul trouble, it would probably be all over and we all know how North Carolina goes to the line. Louisville is my championship game pick, and they are better than last year, but this is essentially the same team that we have that beat them last year. It should be interesting.

Oh, one final thing.....Please Binghamton! PLEASE!

One more final thing. I have a slideshow up and running on the side bar. All credit goes to the Carolina sites, but I usually copy the ones I like and have them as my screen saver. So that's where I got them from.

1 comment: