Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Is that a Tear in Me Eye?"


Yes, Irish accent included. Tomorrow will be an emotional day. Emotional because it is our arch-rival. Emotional because it is senior day and we will never see some of these players play in the Dean Dome again. But it will be emotional because of the people in this class. They are all unique and will be remembered in different ways.


Jack Wooten - The Brainiac of the group, will probably we ultimately remembered by his stauche that he grew during the NCAA tournament. Announcers made fun of him, but he kept it. Unfortunately, no comeback. At least not yet.


J. B. Tanner - The Shooter of the group. Adam Lucas wrote an article about him earlier this season about how good of a shooter he was. He shot 12 3's last year. Same this year, but he can shoot. He reminds me of Dewey Burke.


Patrick Moody - I'll be honest, Moody is probably the player I know the least on the whole roster, but I appreciate his effort, just like the rest of the walk-ons. They have all worked hard to get to where they are and they are often quoted as living the dream. What a dream.


Mike Copeland - Oh Mike. Some people might remember Copeland for his outburst at N.C. State, but that's not what I'm going to remember him for. I will remember Copeland always providing some energy when he was in the game, especially if it was tight. I will also always remember him joking around. I guess he balances out the Psycho-T character.


Bobby Frasor - Dang it, Bobby. I remember saying that when I found out he tore his ACL. I have always looked for big things from Bobby. He was solid as a freshman and even when he was replaced by Lawson, I knew he could be counted on for anything. Well, injuries seem to have robbed us of the Bobby Frasor of his freshman year, but I will remember Bobby for his ability to play. He does whatever and sacrifices to help the team. He's not an ego-maniac and will be a great coach someday. I will particular remember Frasor for his defense this past year and for his 9 points against Duke in the first half.


Danny Green - His first two years, I was hard on Green. He seemed so lost out there and when he was out there, he was inconsistent. After the first game of the 07-08 season, Green had a solid game and I thought to myself, if he can do this consistently, we can be a good team. Lo and behold, he delivered. During that year, I thought to myself, we need a huge dunk on someone (think Stackhouse) and lo and behold, Green came through again (with an assist from Greg Paulus). This year, I have looked to Green as a leader, the stat-stuffer, the glue-guy. I feel that he really held this team together, by being able to do it all. I thought Green would be the next Tar Heel to have a triple-double, with his ability to pass, score, rebound, steal, and block. He hasn't done so yet, but there's still time. Green will probably be remembered for his dunk and for his dancing, but to the true fan, there's so much more.


Tyler Hansbrough - What won't be remembered about him? NPOY, 40 points, .8 seconds against VA Tech, dunking on George, destroying Michigan State (twice), holding our breath while he was injured, broken nose, broken teeth, face mask, balcony hopping, fishing, crazy workouts, Psycho-T, Texas ping-pong, saving people's lives in planes, bloody jersey, 3's against Duke, 4-0 at Cameron, free-throw record, school scoring record, probably the school record for rebounds and ACC scoring record, 4 time All-American. We all know the stories about him. He's going to go down as one of the greatest college players in history. What else can I say about #50?
I hope this group goes out with a bang, both tomorrow and over the next month. And seriously, who is Roy going to start tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment