Monday, March 23, 2009

No, Sportsline No!

Oh Sportsline, you did it again. Just when we start thinking about national title with Lawson back, you have to go and do this. In case you don’t read the article, this is the Triumphant Tar Heel summary. Freeman questions Ty’s toughness. Now it’s not the “oh, it’s just a toe” toughness. No, it’s the injury prone toughness, specifically how it will affect his draft stock. He says that it is admirable to play through the pain, but it could hurt him in the draft if he does not heal properly or quickly. Also this is another issue about his long-term injury history with his ankle last year and now his toe.

See this is what I don’t like. I have seen several sites talking about the draft now that the NCAA tournament is here. Now players are put under more pressure to perform because if not, they don’t get a big paycheck. Seriously, why do you bring this up? I’m sure some of the players know who are scouts and who are fans and I am a fan. I do not care about where players like Ty Lawson and Blake Griffin are going to be drafted. Right now, I care about the tournament. If Ty Lawson is hurting his draft status, I don’t think he cares right now or he would be sitting on the bench. Actually, he would be playing pick-up games or watching Sponge Bob now because UNC’s season would be over.

I actually do care about where North Carolina players go, because I check up on them, but this is not the time. I’m glad the players don’t pay much attention to the media because I’m sure it would really do some damage.

So as Freeman is writing about how it could negatively affect his draft status, I think the opposite and how it could affect his draft decision. Maybe at the end of the year, this requires surgery and because it's a long recovery or something, teams won't draft him or draft him as high and he could return. Yes, it's a bit wishful thinking, but anything is possible.

Random Blog Notes
1. After the season is over, I will be doing a season in review post and a player-by-player season review, starting with the freshman and working my way up.

2. I am a "what if" kind of guy and I will be throwing hypothetical posts out here (like the Lawson-doesn't-go-pro scenario). Just for example, what if Jamison and Carter had stayed? Or what if any of the 3 juniors stayed after the 05 season? What if Wayne Ellington hits the 3 against Georgetown? Those are just to wet the appetite for awhile. These are gonna be sweet!

3. No news on Lawson's toe, but apparently, after the Duke game, he did some home remedy and that was why it swelled up so much. So Lawson, don't do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment